Skip to main content

Happy April!

Welcome back! sorry for the lengthy absence. I wish I could blame it on something wonderful such as being away backpacking through Europe...but the real truth is that I had been preoccupied with Vampires and Warewolves (aka Shape shifters) - YES; the TWILIGHT series sucked me in. I have spent the last 2 weeks filling every free moment with reading those 4 books! and as silly as it may be OMG that was the best story I have read in a very long time. I loved Anne Rice as a teenager and read many of her books but I haven't picked up a Vampire book, or even any fictional book for that matter, since college. It was nice to use the good ole' imagination again and feel like a kid excited about what was going to happen next. I finished last night and now I am sitting here alone wondering what the heck I should be doing?? Jason is gone for the evening, Olena is in bed and I have piece and quite! AAAHHHH.

Olena is doing really well. She starting swim class with the Red Cross 2 weeks ago, and she loves it. She is such a fish anyway, and would live at the pool if I let her. This is the first of 4 levels and teachs them to the basics such as putting thier face in the water, lifting themselves in and out via the side of the pool, "walking" the wall with thier hands while in the pool, floating, jumping in, getting use to splashing etc. I probably could have started her in step 2 but figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

We stopped going to speech therapy at the end of March. It was extremly time consuming, her speech was getting worse, she has started to stutter again and it is pretty moderate this time. The therapist was beyond frustrated. She said Olena is a very inconsistant and a "strange" case; she was not really sure how to treat her. That starts to get frustrating from our end too because here we are, dedicating so much time and energy into it and she wasn't improving and was actually getting worse and the one person who is suppose to be helping was tearing her hair out. So at this point we are going to let things settle down, see where she ends up in a few weeks, and if there is no improvement I am considering seeking out an ESL therapist.

Behavior wise she is awesome. Jason is still out of work so he is home with her all week which is a big help. "Raising Godly Tomatoes" (can be found on Tonya's sidebar) is our "parenting bible"! Jason loves the concept and has found it to be extremely effective! I started with it last summer, but since she was in daycare for 6 hours a day, we were not getting the best results we should have. Once Jason started staying home and started to follow the same thing I was doing at night, it was a complete 360. Don't get me wrong we still have our moments, especially when it comes to meal time but daily life is far more enjoyable now. I don't miss the yelling and the crying and all the commotion! and there is nothing better than only having to tell your child something once, it is so pleasing! She is also extremly polite which makes us so proud...not to brag or anything...but we get so many compliments from strangers about how good her manners are :)
She is getting ready to have another growth spurt. Over the winter she didn't really grow much, maybe just under an inch since last fall. But I have noticed that the winter pants have started to get too short this last month or so. I also had about 4 pair of pants that she got for xmas that were to big, she can wear them now. Her hair is also getting pretty long. I have finally gave in and have decided to let it grow out. This has been very though I have to admit. All that hair hanging everywhere, in her eyes all the time, always knotted, and it never fails we always find something dried in it while brushing it before bed...eeww what a mess. She is just to crazy and wild all day to have long pretty hair. But everyone is complaining that it is time. Hopefully I can last. I will have to take a picture tomorrow and post it. I will have to look back at some old pictures but I think it is the longest it has ever been. I am attempting the bangs too, but I am not confident with that idea. We will see how it goes.





















Comments

Tonya said…
RGT isn't in my sidebar anymore. My blog got a redo so if anyone is looking for it, they'll have to google it. I keep meaning to read that book again. I need to do a quick boot camp before baby arrives. Lyra and Solomon both have their moments and I find myself taking deep breaths and lecturing too much lately.

As for the hair, I can sympathize. Lyra would be bobbed if Landon didn't love her hair long so much. It is a tangly mess all the time. The other morning, I was brushing it and she gave a big sigh and said "I wish I was boy". The boys never have to stand still to get their hair fixed. Poor thing.
vodkamartini said…
You may be on to something with the ELL speech therapist. My little one Natasha has had the hardest time with pronouncing words clearly, etc. Since she is in Kindergarten, we have her in ELL classes (which she will have for the next 2 years) and it's made a TREMENDOUS difference in her speech. We've also had to work hard to not just keep "guessing" at what she's saying and force her to say her words correctly and clearly. She also relies on her older sister to communicate for her, so that's another thing we need to watch out for, LOL! Olena is just beautiful!
Courtney said…
I haven't been on your blog in a long time, so I don't know if Olena has a diagnosis for speech. Our oldest (adopted from Ukraine at 5.5yo) has speech apraxia (or something very close to it) and motor planning issues. Apparently, as these kiddos are going through therapy and trying to use their words correctly more, they often go through a stuttering phase. Olena may not be as unusual as your therapist thought. :) You may want to check into apraxia and see if it matches Olena's struggles.

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.