Skip to main content
So last night I was watching the news and seen this big broadcast about Elton John. He announced he would be adopting from Ukraine! WHAT?? Jason and I just sat there laughing - though I love his intentions and think his charity work is amazing, all I could think was how the heck can they let him release this announcement when he had all odds against him. I don't care who you are and I know that money does buy you a lot in Ukraine, but by law no singles can adopt. In addition to that is he 62 years old and this little boy he was supposedly pursuing is only 14 months. That surely goes against their age limitations/laws. And what about preselection? Traveling to a orphange for a concert and finding a child certainly sounds like preselection to me. Though my heart goes out to him and his partner and if they truly want to adopt I hope that they can help a child especially if they are willing to take on one with HIV but please do your research before you announce worldwide what you "are going to do".
Then this morning, another announcement...from Ukraine this time - saying exactly what I expected...NO WAY! While I am sad that at this time this little boy will not get the family he deserves, on the other hand I am happy. The law is the law and that is how it should be for everyone. The fact that certain families feel that they are above the law and that money will get them everything is what has caused all of the issue in Ukrainian adoption. On the sunny side, lets hope that this has many enlighten a few to consider adopting, particularly special needs.



KIEV, Ukraine – Elton John will not be able to adopt a 14-month-old Ukrainian child because the pop star is too old and isn't traditionally married, Ukraine's minister for family affairs said Monday.
The pop signer toured a hospital for HIV-infected children in eastern Ukraine on Saturday as part of a charity project and said that he and his male partner David Furnish wanted to adopt an HIV-infected boy named Lev.
But the country's Family, Youth and Sports Minister Yuriy Pavlenko told The Associated Press that adoptive parents must be married and Ukraine does not recognize homosexual unions as marriage.
John and Furnish, his longtime partner, tied the knot in 2005 in one of the first legalized civil unions in the United Kingdom.
Pavlenko also said John was too old. The singer is 62 and Ukrainian law requires a parent to be no more than 45 years older than an adopted child.
"Foreign citizens who are single have no right to adopt children ... and the age difference between the adopter and the child cannot be more than 45 years," Pavlenko said. "The law is the same for everybody: for a president, for a minister, for Elton John."
John gave Lev a big kiss at the orphanage in Makiyivka.
"I don't know how we do that, but he has stolen my heart. And he has stolen David's heart and it would be wonderful if we can have a home," John said.
Pavlenko said Ukraine was grateful for the singer's charity work and expressed hope that his desire to adopt Lev would spur the domestic adoption of more children with health problems, which is still rare in Ukraine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.