Skip to main content
We drove over 1300 miles for a total of almost 27 hours, drove up some pretty darn big mountains, had fun racing back down them on the winding road, visited with 10 different friends, seen some spectacular scenery, and walked over 1200 steps into a big waterfall ravine (that I almost did not make it out of.) :) sounds like we had lots of fun, huh? We DID!!
Home from Cloudland Canyon State Park where we camped with the Kissack's and had a wonderful and memorable trip. Then on our 13 hour journey back we split the trip into two days and stayed with some family in Corbin. Sadly it all had to come to an end and we are now back home and getting things back to normal.

A few fun vacation facts...
1. It took Jason about 30 minutes to eat a 24oz cheeseburger. Yes I said 24oz!! it was huge and personally I thought it was pretty gross! The funniest part of it all is that he was determined to finish it so that he could get his picture on the wall of fame, only to find out once he was done that they didn't have the camera! OH!!! Tonya and Landon did get progression pictures which were hilarious so as soon as I can pull them from her blog I will!
2. Perhaps before you let a clan of children be the tour guide on your hike, you should be fully prepared for the worst! Not only did we hike in the soaking rain, but the twelve year old thought it would be fun to guide us down a 40 degree incline of over 600 steps to see some more waterfalls. Think into the future next time...what goes down must come up! UP THE 40 DEGREE INCLINE AND OVER 600 STEPS!!! I swore that they were going to have to call the Medic team to come and drag me out of this ravine. On top of all that, we had no water - no cell phone - 6 children ages 4-12, we were soaking wet and Jason and I didn't really eat anything that morning. We left the camper with the full intentions of just visiting an Look Out Point in the park. Then 2.5 hours later Jason and I crawled out from the trail soaked with rain water and sweat, and probably close to cardiac arrest! On the bright side of the things, we seen some beautiful sites! and pain aside- it was great fun spending that time with the kiddos and watching them have fun.
3. With an Ukrainian reunion comes Ukrainian weather. It rained the whole weekend, just like it did last year and just like it did a majority of the 6 weeks we all lived in Ukraine! We still had fun!
4. They feed their spiders and bugs miracle grow in GA. This is a fact! because it should be impossible for a spider to grow THAT BIG anywhere in the US! I am not normally afraid of arachnids but when I have to share a bathroom with one that I am not even sure would die from me stepping on it, I am a bit uncomfortable with that. My poor child spent the first night having nightmares about spiders and kept waking up flailing out and screaming "there are spiders everywhere!"
5. The original KFC in Corbin KY is the BEST! by far! I am sure they have a reputation to uphold and boy do they do a great job. If you ever have the chance to stop you should. Right off of I75 in Corbin! it is a little museum too.
6. We have some the best friends anyone could ask for! Tonya and Landon and the kids were awesome camping buddies! and Jason and I loved the fact that we got to spend time and get to know the kids much better on this trip. They are all super sweet and funny! Lyra and Olena worked on becoming better friends this time around too!
7. If the Tonya and Landon would have allowed it, we would now have 2 children because Jason was determined to bring Solomon home. He is the funniest little guy you'll ever meet!


Playing in the creek down from the falls

Olena and Lyra at the Aquaraim.



Our tourguides.
This is the Look Out Point


Half way through the hike. As you can see we are all soaked.



At the Aquarium.
Lyra, Silas, Solomon(front), Noah(back), Olena, Micah and little Karys!




Comments

Anonymous said…
It sounds like you guys had a wonderful vacation!!! I'm so jealous ;-)
Tonya said…
I will get those pictures of Jason and the mongo-burger up as soon as I can load them. (Landon is still laughing about them). My computer is driving me bonkers.

I'm glad you guys had a safe trip home! We miss you already - can't wait till next year. One of these times, we'll get a rainless week...

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.