Skip to main content

Going on a bear hunt.

One of the more exciting stories of our reunion is about the great bear encounters.   Saturday morning around 6:30a, just about everyone was asleep so I decided to wander outside and check out the morning.  Quietly I came out the door being sure not to slam it, walked down the porch and came around the corner, much to my surprise and his, there was a young black bear cub.  Yes I freaked, let out a little scream and he took off down the stairs and down to the creek.  As soon as I processed it all, my heart started pounding and I realized, where there is a cub - there is usually a mother so I of course ran back into the house...a bit excited I have to admit.   Landon and Brian where sitting at the table enjoying some coffee when I came in trying to explain what happened.  They both looked at me like I was a bit crazy but then quickly realized I was not so they too went outside to get a look.  While it wasn't the best view, we did get to see the little guy running down the road, stopping briefly to check us out. 


Fast forward to Sunday afternoon.  All morning, us adults sat on the porch lazily talking and reminiscing about our adoptions while the kids all played in the creek.  The Kissacks finally decided it was time for them to head back home.  While standing on the porch saying our goodbyes, all of a sudden Angelina screams "BEAR!!!!" we all turn around and sure enough, there she was walking right out of the woods, right in front of all of us.  Everyone started screaming, running around, moms where throwing kids and babies into the van and into the cabin (all the smart moms I should say... this did not include me) Instead I was one of the few paparazzi who crazily grabbed my camera in one hand, Olena in the other, and we took off to take pictures.  God was surely shining over us that day.  Letting us experience one of his most beautiful creatures,  while keeping us all safe.  At the time, it was nothing but excitement, however now that I think about it...we were nothing short of being unsafe lunatics. 

Thankfully a few of us did have fear and common sense so Jason and Pam grabbed Olena from me and took her in the cabin.  (Keep in mind Olena was squealing with complete joy and glory the whole time she was running around with me.  She had been on one mission during this trip, and that was to see a bear.)  The Kissacks made it to the van, us and the Whites ended up barricading ourselves in the house while Ms Bear decided to explore the property and our porch.  She scared poor Pam, Angelina and Jason by lunging at the window they were observing her from, all while Olena laughed her butt off....hahaha.

I was determined to get a few more good pictures so while she was below the porch I decided to go out and get a few good shots.  Those are the ones from below.  Brian and Jason yelled at me several times from the bedroom while I did this, but I was all worth it...especially after she decided to stand up and show herself.  I personally think she was just curious, but the men on the other hand thought I was an idiot who needed to get in the house because a standing bearing is a mad bear.

Landon ended up driving back down our driveway while honking the horn which eventually made her go back up the mountain.  I would have been happy just watching her roam around but majority rules and it seems the others found peace in having the bear go back into the woods. 

Then Monday morning before us and Whites loaded up the car to go home, there she was again on our back porch and she even had her 3 cubs with her.  It was great.  Jason missed it but Olena got to see them and one even stood up at the window looking in at us.  It was a perfect ending to the perfect reunion! 




Comments

Anonymous said…
Those are amazing pictures! I don't know if I would be as brave as you!

Glad you had a great time!

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.