Skip to main content

In Memory of Ida Mary Crocker


August 14, 2012 this earth lost a strong and wonderful woman, my grandmother Ida.  While I was extremely blessed to be by her side and say goodbye, she will forever be missed.  She was an amazing person and I can only hope that Olena will be able to hold on to even just a fraction of her memory.  My mother asked me to give a eulogy at the service on Friday, I thought I would post it here so that I never forget the words that I spoke and the feeling that I had that day. 
I love her deeply and always will.  I know one day I will see her again and there she will be waiting with open arms. 

********************************************

On behalf of our family, I wanted to take a moment to share a few words in memory of Ida Mary Crocker or as some may know her, Jeep.  I think we all feel very fortunate to have been able to share in her 70 years of life.  To be honest I can’t stand here and tell you much about Jeep as a child or even a young woman.   So I have spent the last 2 days pouring over the computer for hours stressing about what to write. How do I express my thoughts in only a few minutes for someone who meant so many different things to so many different people.  She was a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend and most importantly to me, a grandmother.  For me and a few of my cousins, we were even lucky enough to have her be a part of our childrens lives….as a great grandma.    She was a woman of many qualities and every person she met walked away with something that she instilled, taught or influenced.  Standing here and looking out, I can see that I am surrounded by her life’s work – her purpose while she was here on earth…. this family. We are the legacy of Ida Mary Crocker.  Her husband, their 6 children and their 5 spouses, 20 grandchildren, and 10 great grandchildren.  Each one of us carries a piece of her in our hearts.  Whether it be a bit of her independence, or her strength.  Perhaps her resilience, strong will or her determination.   Or for maybe like me, your heart swells with her creativity, confidence, or her unconditional love.  Anyone who knew Jeep, knew she was all of these things.

When I think of my grandmother, I know I am not like most.  I don’t have memories of a little old sweet lady in an apron, baking cookies, dusting the house and stuffing me with homemade pot roast or pies.   That was not my grandmother.  The woman I know, was a strong, happy independent young grandma wearing big loose fitting shirts and comfy pants.  She was a practical woman thinking in practical terms with tons of common sense.  She was smart, well-read, and above all, pragmatic.
   When you walked in the house you would find her curled up on the corner of couch with a book in hand and her ice tea on the table.  She made me pink lemonade with 2 cups of sugar just to make it extra sweet, we sat for weeks painting an entire ceramic town just to put under the Christmas tree, I would spend hours sitting on the stairs dusting her doll collection with a paint brush just so that I could hold them and look at all the tiny details, we had weekly shopping trips to Franks nursery and Wools worth to find our next craft project.  And I have spent many Saturdays sitting for hours at craft shows selling everything from Christmas ornaments to painted sweatshirts. 
There are so many memories of the nights we sat on the bleachers at Ferndale high drinking cocoa and cheering for the boys.  Her and I would always yell and scream, the cheerleaders loved us! I ‘ll never forget our  trips to Northwood – college football games and taking my uncles to Pondarosa, even remembering as far back as driving to Florida.  While we drove in the dark her and grandpa would tell me the lights on the side of the road where the alligators eyes watching and waiting for me.   And I always smile thinking back to the hours and hours I would spend sitting at her vanity table putting on her make up and jewelry or going through her collection of crazy lapel pins.

My memories are endless.  I can openly admit that I am probably one of the luckiest people on earth, I really knew my grandmother.  She was a huge part of my life and the moments I have shared with her could flood pages and pages of a book.  She was there for me unconditionally from the start, up until the very end.   
As we gather today, although we will miss her physical presence in our lives,  let’s not just grieve, but also celebrate her life as it was fully lived. As we talk and visit, let’s share our memories, as her Spirit continues to live in all of us.  In the end, the greatest impact we have in this life is the impact we have on other people. And it is because of the influence of this one woman that we are gathered here today.
Carry the light of compassion with you from this place, and hold onto the joy you feel in hearing about Ida from each of us. Let us live, learn, and love together in her honor. 

Comments

Tonya said…
I'm so sorry, Christina. I had a wonderful grandmother too. I know what an imprint they leave on your life.

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.