Skip to main content
We've been busy, cleaning up still...(yes I know, how on earth can I still be cleaning this measly 1000 sq ft house...I have no clue) about 98% of the reorganizing is done. All I really have left is our play room in the basement and that is pretty much it. My wonderful and amazing momma will be over this weekend to help me with the dirty part, actually cleaning. She works my butt off when she comes over. We wash walls, floors on our hands and knees, clean the carpets, fan, and every nook and cranny. And trust me, my mom leaves no furniture unturned. I love it when she comes over because my house looks so absolutely beautiful when she leaves. I don't know what it is but my dad and I have always said she has this magic touch, it is "Kelly Clean". Olena is going to spend the day with her Grampy (J's dad) and that will give us the ability to focus on the task at hand. I will be completely dead the world by Saturday night...but it will be well worth it.

I got to do something today that felt really good! I am part of the "Social Committee" at work and we have started a tradition of doing something kind every holiday season for the community. Usually this just involved donating money to a local food drive, but this year I wanted to pump it up a notch. Through a local radio station we were able to get in touch with 2 families in the area that have fallen on hard times this year. We are going to try and raise enough money to buy them 1 month worth of groceries, food for a holiday meal, (both through Angel Food Ministries) and a gift card to Toys R Us so that they can buy some toys for the kids for xmas. One family is a single man with 3 young kids, who lost his job some time ago and has been trying every thing to find work. The other is a single mom with 2 babies, and she too has been struggling. She works but barely makes ends meet.
I had the liberty of being able to call the SIL of the single man today to let her know that we had read her letter and wanted to help her BIL. She was in complete shock and then once we started to talk a bit you could her the relief in her voice. It felt so good to be able to bless someone with such welcoming and needed news. I cannot wait to see how much money we can raise - and I surely can't wait to see the smile and relief on these families faces. Our bosses have been gracious enough to match any money we can raise too.

Olena is doing great. She has this new found love for babies which I think is absolutely adorable. Every day we leave school she insists we stop in the baby room to play with them and say good bye. Hear that aunt Jenny? that means there is hope for your baby!!

I have also been faced with a new challenging project. Rickie's coworker has 3 children's books that he has written and he has been searching for an illustrator. I use to draw when I was younger but once I got into college it just sort of faded away. Everyone would always ask me why don't you draw any more?? Well my lovely BFF decided to offer my services. It is not mandatory that I accept, but she brings me these scripts, there sitting here on my desk right in front of my face every day, and I don't want to let this guy down. I so badly WANT to do it, yet on the other hand I am just way too nervous. My mom went out and bought me a new sketch book, and some pencils and water colors and I can't bring myself to start. Why?? I have a bad subconscious fear of failing I guess. Maybe tonight, after this post??!!? Strange that this opportunity fell into my lap, especially when it has always been a little dream I've had to write a children's book of my own. Perhaps, this is the start that will take me there? We'll see.

Thanks for listening!

Comments

Tonya said…
Lyra said "I want to go to Olena's house. I see Olena's room bad". She meant she wants to see Olena's room badly. She also loves the video clip and keeps asking to watch it again.

My mom cleans like your mom. For some reason, I just can't pull that off. I WANT to, but it just never gets quite as clean when she's not around. I always get a good house cleaning when I have a baby, though so I guess I've got one coming due in June:). Since O loves babies so much, maybe you should join me???:):):)
Tonya said…
Landon and I were actually looking into domestic adoption just before I found out we were expecting #6. I found a sibling group of 5 and fell in love at first sight! LOL! That would have given me 10 kids so 6 seems so tame in comparison. I wish I could FedEx Lyra up although I'd have to FedEx myself up too in order to get her in the box. She is my little shadow. Today, I had to make her stand outside my closet while I took inventory of Christmas presents. She follows me EVERYWHERE! We need to start planning our get-together for next year. In a WARMER, DRYER climate:):):).

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.