Skip to main content

a bit of peasant soup...

Peasant soup is one of my favorite soups...just a mix of whatever you have left in the frig (of course within reason) I am sitting here thinking about what to write, and apparently what to have for dinner. I figured this post may be a little like peasant soup - a mix of whatever is floating around in this head of mine.

One thing I noticed that I did not post about is that I did attend the National Home School Conference in Cincinnati Ohio. It was amazing. I attended the one in Lansing last summer but that was Michigan based, this one was HUGE!! My usual sidekick partner in crime/BFF/"adoptive" sister I never had, Rickie, joined me for the weekend. We had a great time and I got lots of good stuff.
I really wanted to get the Math-U-See program last year but couldn't justify spending that much money for the beginning of Kindergarten when my husband wasn't working...so I put if off. This year, well lets just say my "reasoning" didn't really help much this time. It was the first booth, and I walked away spending half my budget in the first 15 minutes of the exhibit hall! LOL. I am ok with it though. It is suppose to be a fabulous program and the cost will never be this much again. It would just be a matter of buying the next level book.
She despises handwriting so I bought the Draw Write Now book to see if that was any better. Of course she likes the drawing part but the sentences are the death of her...at least with all of the whining you would think that was the case. I completed about 4 lessons and we have backed off a bit. I let her draw the picture and then we do 1 sentence a day (4 sentences total) When she does write it is fairly legible so I am not too worried about it. I suppose there are worse things than having bad handwriting.
I haven't really been using much of a reading curriculum but she seems to be doing very well so I am trying not to stress about it. She knows how to sound out the words perfectly, she can read the little BOB BOOKS, and the 1st LEVEL READERS without much help, and she is pretty clever at spelling. My daughter can spell Camaro and Corvette in her sleep but seems to struggle with remembering words such at "and"..... therefore I am fully convinced she is a spelling bee champion only if the words are interesting to her.
I haven't made any definite decisions yet but I am throwing around the idea of introducing an instrument in the fall. Lessons in maybe piano. When I asked her, she said the guitar but she still suffers with her fine motor ability. Granted I have no clue how to play the guitar but it doesn't seem to be a fitting idea for a beginner 6 year old. She loves music and she is very familiar with her instruments - she use to LOVE Little Einsteins. Any idea?


Well for now I gotta call it quits. I need to eat some dinner and finish up a few chores.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.