Skip to main content

Micro what???

Yesterday Olena and I were working on Starfall for her reading lessons. The game she was playing was a picture of the kitchen, with letter blocks (similar to a cross word) and she had to match the correct words to the labeled items. So we start to go through it and she is doing just fine....refrigerator, stove, oven, sink, table, and then the mysterious item - the microwave!

When we got to the mystery microwave, she just sat there for a few moments staring at it.

Me: Well Olena what is that?
O: I don't know.
Me: lets try to read the word. Sound it out.
(My hopes were that she would start sounding it out and then item recognition would kick in. After working the word for a few minutes she was able to realize that is started with MICRO)
Me: OK Olena think about it. micro.......
O: Micro WHAT?
Me: break it up, what does the second half say.
(after a few more minutes we establish the second half says wave. but now I am slightly confused because yes she is figuring out the word, but why is she not recognizing the item??)
Me: Microwave Olena. The microwave.
(she looked me straight in the face with the most puzzled looked)
O: Micro WHAT?
Me: microwave, you know - you cook popcorn in it.
O: NO, you cook popcorn on the stove
(yeah, thats true. J cooks it in the kettle pot with oil)
Me: Well I sometimes warm up left overs in the microwave.
O: Where is it?
Me: Where is what? the microwave?
O: yes, we don't have one.
Me: it's in the basement
O: oh...well I never seen one before.
(then she let out a big sigh)

We do have a microwave but barely use it, it sits in the basement. We give it a whirl about once a month. Same goes for my parents. My mom actually keeps her in a cabinet in the garage. But honestly, never in my wildest imagination did I realize that she had no idea what the microwave was. I was a bit embarrassed at first, but now after the fact - I can chuckle about it!
OMGosh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.