Skip to main content

"Why would you want to do that?"

The title of this post is a question I have heard a lot lately. The funniest part of it, is that it always comes after the 45 second moment of silence that followed the fact I just told them that we are pursuing another adoption from Ukraine....of a HIV child.

.................................. let me guess what you're thinking? Why would we want to do that?

There are actually lots of reasons, but my main reason..... I prayed for it. I prayed for a larger family, another child....anyway He found fit; adoption, foster care, biological - hey I am open to suggestions. :) That is when information about HIV orphans started falling into my lap. Every new blog I found seemed to mention HIV children, a good friend directed me to a few sites with special needs children and I always found myself searching the database of HIV orphans. At first, I truthfully didn't give it a second consideration. Until one night while, again, praying for "answers" I fell asleep to the words of...."you can handle it" I woke up the next day, started immediately doing research and finally my heart fluttered and my mind found peace just as it did 5 years ago. Returning to Ukraine, and going with the open heart to accept a child who is considered HIV+ is where our journey will take us next. I don't have all the answers. I don't have any idea when or how we will get there. But I will say that He is doing a very very good job at making it possible. I can't share details yet but the financial aspect of our life will be improving dramatically over the next month or 2, and that is surely one of the only things that would be a hurdle for us at this point.

So why would I want to do this? My dearest friend Adriana said it best the other day....
If we don't believe in the signs that we are asking for, then why even talk to Him at all?

There is one thing I have always known since being a little girl; I know for a fact He put a great love in my heart for His orphans. I want to accept a HIV+ child into this home because (she) needs the love, she needs a family, and because it is what I was meant to do.

With that being said...Welcome to our revised blog; POSITIVELY BLESSED!

Comments

Martinfamily4 said…
Yes, you will be positively blessed with adoption....we already know that :) ... excited to follow along on the next step in your journey.
Noah said…
I don't think you're crazy and my first thought wasn't "why would you want to do that". A child is a child and you CAN do it:).
vodkamartini said…
I don't think you're crazy at all, and you just may be the answer to a prayer I've been praying for the last 4 1/2 years. Could you please e-mail me privately at lisasicilian@yahoo.com. We adopted 2 girls from UA and they have a sister who is HIV positive. I was told at the time that she was not available for adoption, but as you can imagine, she has been heavily on my mind.....I have been praying for a way to bring her home or to at least help her. I have to believe He is answering more than one prayer here! :):).
Lisa Sicilian
I just stumbled across your blog this week.

My husband and I are currently adopting a special needs child from Bulgaria, but we've discussed an HIV+ child in the future. I would also be interested in specific information about this type of adoption.

I'd love to hear from you when you get a free minute - on my blog (http://www.momentsdefined.wordpress.com) or in my email (chanceginger@gmail.com)

Thanks for sharing your adoption experiences.

Ginger

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.