Skip to main content

A little coffee table chat...

While at work today we had an interesting conversation at the lunch table. Everyone was discussing the new season line up on TV, all the new shows and what everyone was watching. I just sat back and listened while they marched through the days of the week and discussed the "it" show for each night. We don't really watch TV which I honestly thought that was somewhat normal but boy was I wrong!! One of my coworkers looks at me and asks "so what do you and J watch?" Well on Mondays we do watch Prison Break, we are both suckers for it but other than that the Today Show in the morning while I am getting ready and maybe the 10 or 11 o'clock news depending on how tired we are but that is pretty much it. You should have seen the look on everyone face. You would have sworn I was a martian from mars that just landed at their lunch table.
"what about sports, doesn't J watch football on the weekend?"
NO
"Nascar?"
NO
"what sports then?"
NONE
"no in the the house WANTS to watch TV?"
IF WE DID, WE WOULD
"so what do you do?"
"what do you guys do for fun?"
"does J agree with this?"
"do you have cable?"

The questions just kept coming from every where and they were all totally in shock. WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHAT DO WE DO? That question really through me for a loop.
We do own a TV and we do have cable, no movie channels though. And for fun, we do lots of things. Play with Olena, ride bikes, scrap book, read, J likes to fiddle with his cars and play in the garage, we listen to a lot of music, maybe work on the computer for bit, and just do chores, chores and more chores. I honestly don't think I could even make any more time to watch TV if I wanted to, we're just too busy. So today I was the "weirdo" in the office.
Tonya, I told them that you didn't even have cable and you grew up WITHOUT a TV. I thought that they were going to die on the spot.

When I left for the day, someone says "goodbye, have a good night not watching TV, what are you going to do anyway?"
Well O is with my mom tonight, I am going to sit and relax in peace and quite for a while. Maybe finish my book, organize my home management binder, blog, update my October calendar, pay bills (yuck), make a card for Olena's OT for tomorrow, have dinner with my husband, have a conversation with my husband, clip coupons, play with the dogs, straighten up the house, work on laundry, make some laundry soap because we are out, fold clothes, put them away, and I am thinking about trying to squeeze a little scrap booking in. And to think Thursday is our slow and relaxing day.

Does it look like I need to watch TV?

Comments

Jen G. said…
Don't feel weird in anyway...David and I are so out of the loop with prime time TV. The only shows we watch are Greek, House, and Night Rider. When I get home from work I will turn on Little House on the Praire while I take a nap on the couch. Over dinner we watch MASH. and that's it for the night. David goes outside and I clean the house or do some crafts. We don't watch sports either unless we stumple onto Monster Truck then we're glued. Other then that we watch movies on the weekend of before bed time. We have a big expensive tv with cable and about a million stations but we really only watch the basics. It's a pitty the cheapest package we can get is $40. So don't feel weird, there's a lot more people out there that don't watch tv then you think. And it's the same where here at my work everyone's always asking do you watch this do you watch that...I don't and they look at me like I'm insane. So hang in there we'll change the tv nation someday. :)
Tonya said…
TV is a waste of time. I hate it. We picked up cable for the Olympics and haven't cancelled it yet. I was just asking Landon if we could do so earlier this week. Guess what my boys favorite show is. "Iron Chef America". Is that funny or what!? They watch NO sit-coms and will never watch sit-coms as long as I am around. I can't imagine a less profitable way to spend and eveing! LOL! Hope you and Jason had a fun night by yourselves:). It seems so quiet when the noise is spending the night at gramma's, doesn't it!
Martinfamily4 said…
I am not a TV watcher - just have never had the time - even when I did not have kids.... Daddy watches it and so does my 11 yr old - Samantha does not like it! :)
Amy said…
Don't feel funny about it at all! I hear the same things alot! My hubby is the tv junkie in our house.. drives me batty!
My only tv indulgence is Deadliest Catch in the winter time! I am an addict! :)

So - are you going to share how you make laundry detergent????? I'd love to find out!

Take care!
Amy

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.