Skip to main content

Being brave the best way she knows how.

Olena has a big issue with getting her nails clipped. This has been a problem since bringing her home and though it has improved a bit in four years, it is still a 45 minute fight just to trim her fingers and toes. She has never been hurt - she just has a problem with it due to her sensory disorder - she is extremely over sensitive when it comes to her feet or hands.

I am cutting her nails the other day....

O: do you have to cut the baby one too?
M: Yes!
O:NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, not the baby one OK?
M: I have to, it's really long
O: NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, its my dragon claw.
M: I still have to cut it
O: NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, just leave it ok! Leave them all. I can do it.
M: how? you don't know how to use the clippers.
O: like this! (as she attempts to put her toes in her mouth and act like she biting the nails off)
M: that's just wrong....not to mention disgusting. I need to cut them. Please give me your foot.
O: (as nervous as be) just wait a minute.....**big sigh**....(grabs her foot, hugs it and starts rocking back and fourth) then she starts chanting..."be brave like Dave, be brave like Dave, be brave like Dave, be brave like Dave"

The chanting/prayer must have worked because we managed to get all 10 toes trimmed with only a moderate amount of drama.

do you ask who's Dave?
David from the story of David and Goliath.
Only Olena!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is such a great story!!! Your daughter is such an amazing and sweet girl! You have definitely raised her right :-)

By the way, tell O that I'm going to steal hear chant! Whenever I'm nervous, I will chant "Be brave like Dave."

:-)
Tonya said…
Too cute! LOL!

Lyra clips her own nails with baby clippers. I'll bet that she could at least do her toes and whatever hand she doesn't write with. It might save you some drama?:)
Amy said…
Poor little Olena! You might also want to try taking her for a mani-pedi... you could get one at the same time. It might allow her to see that a little pampering is not too bad! Sadly - one of my kids has NEVER needed his toenails or fingernails trimmed - NEVER in 10+ years since he has been home... yep - he chews them off... and yep - the feet too! Super gross!

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.