Skip to main content

The making of a bird feeder.

I have a bad habit of saving a lot of recyclable things because I think it would make a great art project. This usually is the case and many of the items I save, do get used. However my saving seems to FAR exceed my need. Over the weekend I took the paper towel tube off of the holder and walked right over to my craft box and tossed it in, then scolded myself and asked why the heck I am saving yet again another tube?

At that moment it hit me. I decided to make a new house rule. Nothing is allowed to be saved unless I know exactly what it will be used for or it must be used in today’s project. If not, the item has go to the recycling bin.

I picked up my tube and just stared at it??? What on earth was I going to do with this item I found so necessary to save???.... Ah, Jason just bought me some wild bird food. I was going to have her make a bird feeder with some seed and my just expired jar of PB that got shoved to the back of the cupboard. My intentions were to use pine cones, but this would work and feed many more birds than a tiny pine cone.

So that is what we did!! She ended up with much more PB on her than on the tube, and by the time she was done with the seed I could have hung her from the tree :) We had a ton of fun and that’s want counts.

Now the tragedy of it all. It has been hanging since Sat and there hasn't been a single bird. I fell so badly because she just stands in the front door or window waiting! She tried calling them from the porch too, it was so cute but sad - "birdie......birdie........birdie......"
Pray for us to see some birdies soon, I am not sure how much more she can handle this, it is breaking her little heart :)
Trying some bait to lure them to the feeder!

Lana waiting...looks as if Otis wants to wait too :)


The famous, currently unused, bird feeder.

Comments

Jen G. said…
Try running a pencil/stick through it in a few places to act as perches for the birds. It's a little hard for the birds to pick seed while flying. Drive something sharp through it to make the hole then slid the pencile/stick through.
The Warchols said…
Aunt Jenny...I know I am blonde but I promise you I am not that bad. There are no perches on it, but where I hung it in the tree there are plenty of branches to stand on. Usually little sparrows hang out in this tree so it is not a problem for them. I promise I won't make them try to fly and eat!! BTW some birdies did come by yesterday. She was very excited.

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.