Skip to main content
Well, one MAYBE vote and one YES! Looks like I am on the right path :) thanks for both Jennifer and Tonya's invaluable advice. I think the both of you made great points. It doesn't take much to prepare yourself for such a journey but yet I have met so many families who are truly clueless at what to expect during there process.

Some people are willing to take the time to learn what is necessary and really try to understand the entire adoption but then there are others who really leave everything up the agency who may or may not give them the education they need. There are some awful stories that have come to light in the adoption community over the past few months and personally I feel that they are due to nothing more than 1. a social worker/agency not doing their job properly and 2. a parent who was NO WHERE near prepared to handle an adopted/institutionalize child. I chose not to share these stories on a public blog for the fact that it will not do anything accept "damage" the ability of Americans to continue adopting from Ukraine. What about the family who's blog was in my sidebar a few months back, they walked away from a darn near perfectly healthy baby because they thought you mother might have drank while pregnant. WHAT??!?! You are adopting from Ukraine!!! What planet were they from? We went assuming our soon to be daughter would be still be drunk when we met her - on a serious note as much as agencies are good, too many do not educate.

We adopted independently, but had to use an agency of course to complete our home study. Keep in mind that they had a Ukrainian program. I was able to tell my social worker the entire process she had absolutely no clue how it worked, and then to top it all off during the shut down of the NAC and opening of the SDA the owner of the agency and her head social worker were emailing me with questions about what was going on. Cathy Harris and our group did a fabulous job at creating a tight support system - I am hoping that something like AdoptionIQ could create the same situation with the entire adoption community, all countries - all adoptions.

With all of that being said I hope you enjoyed the new beautiful pictures.

Comments

Martinfamily4 said…
I am a HUGE advocate for adoption and will help anyone through the process and pray pray pray for them. I am hoping to start and adoption ministry in our church and hope to team up with Laurel Boylan and GOd's Waiting CHildren for some VA hosting programs. After we came home - 2 other couple and us started a 501c3 charity to support the UA orphans...we are small, but have been sucessful with a few fundraisers. We were fortunate to meet up with a missinary while in UA for over 90 some days - yes, we had quite an adoption experience. I say, go for it - these kids need homes - everything you do to help will come out tenfold - just think - children in Christian homes knowing the love of JESUS - nuff said...amen.
www.riverofjoy-crimea.org
www.riverofjoy.info
Tonya said…
Bwah hahahahahahah:):):). I howled over the "drunk when we met her comment". That is so UA! I wasn't even phased by Lyra's medical history. And it turned out that none of it affected her but the speech delay, and that is correcting itself.

Ah well. Being prepared certainly takes the surprise out of a lot of things. I get calls and e-mails from people who are considering Ukraine because they saw my beautiful daughter and then I have to tell them about reality. Fortunately, some of them are in it for the long haul. Lyra may have been the bait, but they are ready for whatever God brings them. I love those folks!

Gorgeous pics of your baby! I can't imagine Lyra looking so sweet and girly. She is such a tomboy! I wonder why....:)

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.