Skip to main content

AdoptionIQ - Long but looking for Opinions!

I am reaching out to all of you friends out there. I have had a strong desire to be involved with adoptions since completing our adoption of Olena. I loved our experience. It was a challenge to me, and I fully educated myself about the entire process. I firmly believe this, and prayer of course, was the main reason we had such a wonderful adoption experience. Over the past 2 years I have read hundreds of blogs, met lots of adoptive families and still have managed to read just about everything I can get my hands on that is adopted related. All of this and we still don't even know if we will ever adopt again. For some reason, the idea of adoption gets my adrenaline going. I can sit at this computer and blog, check email, do a few things and be done in 15 minutes, BUT if I decide to start "adoption surfing" I end up sitting here for hours reading my heart out. One of the dark sides to adoption is that sometimes things go wrong - we all know it happens and it happens for many reasons. But in the end, a lot of times things go wrong because parents were uneducated and/or out of control of their own adoption. This saddens me terribly. I want to help....but how? The other day an idea hit me out of now where. What about being an "adoption guide?"

Here is a brief idea of what I had in mind -
Lets say Jane and John have decided to adopt. (I Remember that day) now what?
AdoptionIQ (me, of course) would start by supplying them with their adoption choices - international and domestic. What to expect from both, pros/cons and approx cost. Information about adoption in general so that they can ensure adoption is right for them. Scams they may encounter, what kind of information will be required from them, books to consider reading, and ways to finance adoption.

Once the couple decide on what journey they want to take I would supply them with information pertaining to that choice. For international - I would send them country options and outline the process, the cost and supply them with prescreened agencies that they can consider. Domestic - I can suggest again prescreened agencies and/or lawyers. The idea is not to complete their adoption but mearly supply them with the information that they need to make suitable decisions for their family. I don't want the guidance to stop there though. Once they chose their agency I want to help prepare them for their homestudy. Teach them about what to expect. I would flood them with support information specific to thier adoption choice. What to expect in country (if international), what medical concerns to watch for, a list of pediatricians who can assist them with their referrals, support groups, readings etc.

Toward the completion of their adoption - I could touch on post adoption concerns such as what to expect in the final stages, bonding, introducing to the family , health concerns once home, guidelines if any for post adoption updates, birth family searches, support groups, etc.

And amidst all this, I would offer my "personal" assistance anytime it was needed. Available to talk during those times of panic, or concern. Available to help you find the answers to all of the questions you have rambling through your mind. Whatever, whenever!

I am not sure if I would supply this information in eBook style, emails, CDs, binders - that all still needs to be worked out.

I apologize that this is all a bunch of mumbo jumbo but it is all a crazy mess in my head right now, just an idea. I have been playing around with it for about a week now and it is driving me crazy. I feel like I am being "told" this is a direction I need to follow. but I am not going to lie, I am not to confident yet so I am looking to all of you for support and/or ideas.

Would you have liked a service like this to help you along the way?
Do you see it being a positive service to better educate parents to be?

If I'm crazy, and it seems like only a mediocre idea, PLEASE be honest. I would hate to dedicate myself a year of hard work to launch this idea and have it be a wash. I know we all learn from our mistakes and we never know unless we try, but on the other hand - to get this project going I would need to spend a lot of research time over the next year if not longer and that is a big commitment when you have a family to worry about too.

I have a voting pole in my side bar, let me know your thoughts. Feel free to leave a comment too. I look forward to seeing what all of you have to say.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey woman. I am not sure. To be honest, isn't that what an agency is for? (I know some agencies are worthless) Now, unless they are going independent - then it would be a huge help. So, I vote not sure. When I was waiting - I educated myself very much. I found a lot of info on the web, and of course Cathy's group was wonderful. However, I know not everyone has access to that kind of group. So, to that end - it might be good.

Jennifer
Tonya said…
Personally, I am like you and did whole piles of research before ever even choosing Ukraine (which is why I was scared to death at first). I knew everything to expect while in country and had read all the experts on raising a child by adoption. Finding out about Ukrainian adoption was very helpful. The "experts", however, were no help at all and I ended up scrapping the majority of their advice.

That said, I have had a lot of e-mails and phone calls from parents who are thinking about Ukraine. Many of them don't have a clue what they are getting in to and think they can adopt a healthy 6 month old or something. I think, in those cases, something like this would be invaluable. It would also be helpful for people who don't get into researching everything heavily. I know a lot of people head off to UA with no idea of what to expect at the SDA, from the orphanage director, from the judge, from the CORRUPT UKRAINIAN SOCIAL WORKER!!! (I'm still peeved about that one). And some people are told by lying agents that they can expect to come home with a baby when in reality, they are probably going to come home with a pre-schooler.

I would have a hard time doing this job you are thinking about doing because, darn it, I think people just need to grow up and not be so darn picky. I don't know if you are following the McConnel blog (Eric and Michelle in my sidebar) but they just came home with a 5 year old who was headed off to THE INSTITUTION! because she was "unadoptable" citing CP. HA! Anyway, I am getting on a soap box here.

I think you should offer these services, EXPECIALLY to those considering UA since independent adoption is an option and there is so much wacky, untrue info floating around out there. You could advertise on message boards and such.

Thanks for the congrats on our baby girl:). She'll be at a fun age in the fall four our get-together. I still can't get ahold of Pam. I e-mailed her again, but no response. You should give it a shot. Maybe you can get through.
Tonya said…
I guess I should qualify my "picky" statement before I offend someone:):):).

What I meant was that some of the people I talk to are looking for a "Sure thing" and they are not willing to take any risks. I want to give them a lecture on trusting God. I don't know that I would do well with sitting and listening to people demand a certain outcome without getting a few ants in my pants.

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.