Skip to main content

The nasty things we breath.

My newest obsession - indoor pollution! I came across an article in one my magazines about indoor pollution so I started to research it and I was appalled. My biggest problem....4 big dogs, 2 cats, a messy husband and a 6 year old! They make this house a big stye, especially the dogs! and I can't stand the idea of my house smelling like a barn yard so I am continuously spraying air freshener, burning candles, there were plug ins everywhere and I can use a whole bottle of dollar store bleach spray in one day. I am smart enough to know that none of the stuff is necessarily good for me or my family but I never gave it much thought. I was to involved in the idea of a clean and good smelling house. Good grief, after learning everything I have over the last few weeks I think I may have actually been recreating Chernobyl within my home...ok not that bad but bad enough.

We have done away with the chemicals, candles, said bye-bye to all the plug-ins
(sorry SC Johnson!), and no more air freshener.

Now my biggest problem...trying not to forget about the simmer pot on my stove. Did that twice already! Good thing we change the batteries in the fire alarms this week.

I thought I'd share a few of my recipes so far.
  • Simmer in a pot on the stove mint leaves or Cinnamon sticks.
  • Use a cup full of vanilla as a room freshener.
  • You can use a spray bottle with orange oil (20 drops), lavender oil and eucalyptus oil (10 drops each) mixed with distilled water. Use this as a all purpose freshener.
  • I haven't tried this yet but you can use crushed up green tea leaves as an odor eater. Sprinkle in your carpet or dog bed let it sit for 10 minutes then vacuum. I read you can put it in a bowl under covered in your frig and it absorbs odors. Wonder if green tea bags would work for that?? I do have a box of those.
  • Use a baking soda/water paste as a soft scrub.
  • bottle of water, 3 tablespoons of vinegar and 1/4 tsp of dish soap = glass cleaner.
  • to clean your oven spray the surface with water, cover completely with baking soda and spray again over the top. Let it sit over night and in the morning you are supposed to be able to clean it right up with a damp rag and some dish soap. I will be trying this over the weekend so I will let you know how well it works.
  • 1/2 teaspoon washing soda, some dish soap and hot water makes a great all purpose cleaner.
  • 1/4 cp of lemon juice with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil will work as a wood polish.
  • 2 cps of water with 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil, will get rid of mold if sprayed on and not rinsed.
Hope you all consider a little change, better for you and better for the earth! Enjoy!

Comments

Tonya said…
I hate air freshners and sprays. They give me a headache. Landon keeps one in his car and I am always telling him that it's toxic. Thanks for the list of alternative cleaners.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the cleaning tips! Love them!

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.