Skip to main content

5 Year Check Up


I think this picture is so darn cute! Jason took it today while we were at our 5 year well visit! This was quite the experience and my baby girl did a great job.
First, this doctor is over 45 minutes from our home. I know it seems crazy but I was really picky about who we chose. I searched for 3 months and interviewed 5 doctors before choosing Dr. Caren. I also tried to keep in mind that at some point when we move we hope to relocate to that area, so I figured it would avoid having to change physicians later.
Second, she is always running late, so I expected it. I had planned to actually arrive about 15 minutes late because we always sit in the waiting room for at least 40 minutes :( I messed up my timing block and we ended up 30 minutes early!!! That puts us there at 1:30 this afternoon...we didn't even see the doctor until 3:30!!! and we finally left at 4:30. For being there that long O did amazing and kept herself pretty busy. Jason and I were whining more than she was.
Now for the bad part...I swore she was not due for any shots so I had reassured her that there would be no booboos today. "Open mouth....insert foot!" BUT in my defense, in the long run I was right and I could have still avoided but I was tricked....I swear!!!
As the doctor was looking through her chart she tells me that O needs the last shot for the HepB and HepA series. This did not sound right to me, but I had been there so long I was really aggravated. She was thumbing through all of the paper work - labs, shots records, notes she couldn't read, going on and on, fussing about how she can't do this so quickly because it takes a lot of thinking!?? good grief, get it together lady!! LOL!! I can laugh because I know everything in her chart is goofy. I was one of those mothers from hell! I didn't want her double immunized, so we did titers drawn to see what was already in her blood, we also had her shot records translated so we didn't double up anything from there, some vaccines I chose to waive and others I chose to get. So with that being said, I try to maintain my patience with her. Anyway, I started to feel really bad because I knew O was going to freak. Then the doctor says since we were already giving her the two, we might as well give her a tetanus that way we don't have to worry about it later. I knew she was already going to be mad - might as well take it all at once! The doctor left and I explained to O what was going to happen and of course she freaked out. When the nurse came in O was screaming, I was trying to pin her down and right before she does it, she says "good news - only one today. I looked through the chart for Dr Caren again and seen that she did have both full series" STAB!
I felt so bad, and if I knew that was the case I would have declined and kept my word to my daughter!
But she is still 29lbs! and is 38.5 inches tall. She had a hearing test and passed with flying colors. They wrote me a script for speech therapy and said I should consider trying to find a better match for O and giving it another shot. Not sure yet?? I have to think about that one for a bit.
But she is 100% healthy and of course got all kinds of attention while there!

Comments

ArtworkByRuth said…
Glad that's over! Great photo!
Anonymous said…
Holy smokes...that is a long appointment! I'm glad O is doing well! She looks adorable in her pic :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.