Skip to main content

Where's winter?

In Michigan mid-January should be a time of ice skating, sledding and shoveling.  But not this year. We have barely even seen a snowflake.  Instead of ice skating Olena has been roller skating up and down the street.  Lots of people complain about the snow, but I love it.  The smell, the twinkle, the crunching sound when you walk on it....I love it all!  I imagine that either we will have primarily a wet rainy winter OR we will get blasted with snow in Feb and it will stick around until June! That is something that could easily happen here.  Hopefully soon!

We have had a pretty mellow few weeks.  My Kindle broke which I was really upset about.  I had just bought 3 new books, turned it on to download them and nothing.  The screen went all crazy on me.  When I called Kindle support they so kindly said "oh yeah that's a defect but your warranty ended last week".  I was so bummed.  I had just read the last paper book I have in the house, and I haven't been to the library so I had to trudge through a few weeks with no chance to get lost in the oasis of a book.  Then my amazing and loving husband came home with one for me over the weekend!!  I did ruin his surprise by interrogating him (because financially we currently have other obligations and not much "fun" money) but it was a well welcomed gift! I read one whole book that night when he went out with some friends.  :) 

Olena is doing fabulous.  The trampoline and pool of balls has been amazing in her therapy needs.  It has made a huge difference in her ability to stay focused and together for most of the day.  She goes down stairs with Jason in the morning while he "es-cer-sises" (as O calls it)  and for about 45 minutes she jumps, plays and does jumping jacks. 
It is great having her "back".   It is hard to explain but Olena's SPD can be so off balance that she almost seems to have a dual personality.  There is the amazing 6 year old girl who is funnier than heck, and completely curious about every single thing around her. Obedient and proper.
Then there is the other O....she on the other hand is nothing short of the Tasmanian devil from the cartoon I remember as a kid.  She is constantly on the run around this entire house and leaving a path of destruction in her wake.  And she has no regard or care for punishment what so ever.  She will laugh at anything and everything you do and say.  It can be so frustrating.   
We figure it out though.  Thankfully we have the resources and knowledge so it helps and we get through it.  I am really lucky to have the support of understanding family too.  I have parents who are my assylum. My mom always knows when it is time to take O to her house for a couple of days.  It gives me time to regroup and get caught up.  and then there is Jason...there are just no words for how blessed I am having him as the father of my daughter.  Those two are like peas in pod, or peanut butter and jelly....they know how to work together.  She respects him.  She loves him.  And she loves to drive him crazy!  They love hot rods, motorcycles, and loud fast things.  He is a very active participant in her life.  Not just meaning he plays with her in his spare time, he really takes care of her.  He cooks her breakfast every morning...poached eggs, sausage and toast and basically takes over whenever I am not around.  Granted he grumps a lot at her when she is over rowdy, but God definitely chose the right daddy for this little girl. 

Well maybe I will get back on later but I have a half dressed little girl (nothing but underwear, tutu and tall knee socks!!) dancing around behind me carrying on wildly about reading Olivia and bouncing in a bouncy house....good grief!  I need to tame the lion and put her to bed!

Comments

Tonya said…
She is an absolute DOLL! And you're right, Jason is a fabulous Dad. And you're not so bad yourself, Mommy:):):)

I just love your whole family!

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.