Skip to main content

Why homeschool?

This was sitting unnoticed in my draft box.  I read it today and had to chuckle because it was written quite awhile ago, back when I just started homeschooling.  I remember the day I wrote it, I was flustered because of comments from the family regarding our choice to homeschool.  I can laugh now, but I use to be a bit defensive . 


I have been asked the question a few times...why do you home school Olena? And we definitely have family that feel that way. 

With the way I seem to stress with juggling work and homeschooling it seems that it would be easier to send her to public school.  Believe me...the thought has crossed my mind a few times throughout this process.  The doubt only lasts seconds though because my reasons for homeschooling heavily outweigh any other choices I feel we have.  

One thing I do find surprising is why everyone considers us (the homeschooling community as a whole)  "out of the norm".  Personally it seems to be the other way around in my eyes.  When did it become right to send your kid away for 8 hours a day to sit in an over crowded, windowless, cynderblock room?  To be taught over a period of 14 years by strangers.  During the earlier centuries and in the HS community now...the same education can be taught  in half the time? 
Why is it considered socializing when your child is continuously surrounded by peers his/her own age? and usually carries through their whole school career with the same group of kids?
Your child is not encouraged  to talk or ask questions during class, and they are inevitably going to be socially labelled?  That is socializing??

I am not judging those who chose to send their kids to school.  And I am not saying it is the wrong choice. As long as you are doing what is right for your family and your children.  I am merely asking to please don't judge us, our choices or look at us as unsocialized group of homebody weirdos, because you are so wrong!

Comments

Tonya said…
A lot of people don't understand home schooling and since it's not "normal" they think something must be wrong with it. However, after a few years of knowing home schoolers and seeing that they aren't unsocialized weirdos they change their tune. Just keep doing what you do and don't worry when people don't get it yet:).

Popular posts from this blog

Notice anything different?

A little accessory for her Aunt Rickie's wedding.  She kept telling us she wanted long hair like us for the wedding but we just never grew it out.  So voila! instant long hair! I do plan to make it look a lot nicer for the wedding.  Literally she walked in from playing in the sprinkler and I shoved it on her head.  Once her real hair is curled it will blend and look more uniform. I am proud at how well I matched the color, I was worried because I ordered it off line.  

Some pictures from Cloudland Canyon State Park.